Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Is all government departments so useless?

Seems like the supraglottoplasty went well. He is so quiet. He had a bit of a cough yesterday, but nothing to be concerned about. His nurse said that he had been a little congested.

I've decided that g-tubes are the nastiest thing ever. Today, he was leaking pretty good out of it, and there was slimy goo everywhere. Super gross. They have him on feeds over an hour because he hasn't been tolerating feeds well since the surgery. They hope to get him back to 80ml tomorrow and we'll go from there. He was at 85 before the surgery.

Today I got the runaround from Medicade. I'm trying to get Spencer's medical coverage through the state backdated. His medical card coverage started on May 1st, which a month and a half after he was admitted. He got the medical card because we got approved for SSI! It's bitter-sweet because we never thought he would be considered disabled, but the extra insurance will help a lot. Medicade will pay anything our insurance doesn't pay. Anyhow, apparently to get our medicade backdated, we have to have a case worker. To have a case worker you have to apply for medicade. Getting it through SSI doesn't count as applying for medicade even though we have it...doesn't make sense. I went to the office to apply for medicade and I've decided that nearly all the people that work there are idiots. I clearly explained the situation and that it was for my son. They thought I was applying for myself. Sheesh. Anyhow, I have an appointment in nearly a month from now to probably get laughed at because they set me up for the wrong meeting. I called my financial officer at the hospital to see if she knew of anything to do.

And now I rant. It seems strange to me that when I need a service of the government, I can't get help. However, if I had a bunch of kids and no job, I would have no problem getting the services my son needs. This is maddening. Even if I wasn't married to my husband, I could have gotten medicade while pregnant and we wouldn't be in this mess. If one person took five minutes to come to the hospital, view our situation and look at our bank statement, they would know we were legit. I know there is protocol for a reason, but it seems useless anyhow because the system is taken advantage of anyway. I know there are good people who have medicade and welfare, which is good. I'm all for those people getting my tax dollars. But the people that annoy me are the ones that bust out five kids, don't attempt to work, and treat their kids like crap.

End of rant.

My husband and I were talking about everything last night. It was a bad mommy night last night. I was having a hard time and was pretty mopey. I realized that having a sick kid has made us better parents. We appreciate him so much, and we know how precious he is, in spite of his flaws. We have become stronger people, although having a sick kid makes you strong, but vulnerable. I am an absolute rock now unless it's about my kid. I can't even think about him without getting tears in my eyes sometimes. I think of all the lost time, but then realize that the parents of normal situations must feel the same way when they are at work. And we didn't lose that time, I realize as well, it just passed by, which is what time does.

No comments:

Post a Comment