Monday, April 19, 2010

Surprise and surgery

Spencer had his G-tube placed today. I think I'm taking it harder than he is. We decided on the G-tube because we feel like his eating difficulties weren't going to solve themselves in a reasonable amount of time. Plus, who wants a tube sticking out of their nose all the time? I feel like we made the right decision because his eating has actually gotten worse instead of better.

The surgery went fine. After the surgery, they looked at his airway. The doctor concluded his small chin is the main source of his breathing issues. After he heals from surgery, they are going to re do his sleep study he had a while back, but this time with proper oxygen support. We're really hoping they don't decide to do a jaw distraction.

The surgeon was going to attempt his circumcision, but didn't because the baby's urethra exit hole (I'm a girl, I don't know what the parts are called:) may be in the wrong position. Protocol states if the surgeon thinks it's iffy, then not to mess with it and recommend a consult. While it's probably nothing, it still makes me paranoid.

I took my husband home after Spencer made it back to his room. He worked overnight the night before and didn't get much sleep the day before, plus had his own surgery last Friday (What a month, right?). I went to buy a preemie outfit, which I will discuss in a moment, and then back to see the baby. His IV had become misplaced and Spencer started to wake up. He opened his eyes, which really surprised me because last time he was sedated he slept for two and half days. He looked relieved to see me. He can't really cry because the tube, and his breathing is silent which is creepy for me. He always makes noise because of his floppy airway.

He still has a breathing tube down his throat which they will slowly wean him off of. He has been sucking on it like his pacifier. He probably thinks it's awesome because it's always there. He can't keep a normal pacifier in his mouth because of suction issues, so either has to have it held or somehow propped up against his mouth. I'm thinking about sewing a pacifier onto a beanie baby once he gets home. They have something similar at the hospital, but it has a green nipple pacifier on it that he doesn't seem to like very much.

It's been a stressful and long day. I'm glad my little boy is ok, but it sucks that he has to go down this road anyway. At least he will be strong.

His future wife was born yesterday. Her mother was only 30 weeks pregnant, so it was a surprise. We are very excited at meeting her hopefully tomorrow. The baby and mom are both doing great. For being so small she is regulating her body temp and is breathing on her own. We are very relieved that everything is ok and I went to buy her an outfit. She hadn't even had her baby shower yet!

1 comment:

  1. Please don't circumcise him!

    You guys have obviously all been through a lot. It sounds like your son has hypospadias, a condition where the urethra doesn't open at the tip of the penis, but somewhere along the shaft.

    Hypospadias does not require circumcision. Your surgeon was right to not do it.

    Many parents opt for circumcision because of the belief that it will somehow benefit their son, or protect him medically. While it's a noble motive, circumcision is simply NOT RECOMMENDED or beneficial. Even the American Academy of Pediatrics has said so.

    I'm going to offer you a few links, just so you can see for yourself:

    intactamerica.org
    doctorsopposingcircumcision.org

    "Circumcision: Make the Informed Decision" with Dr. Dean Edell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHVvB1oHAgg

    I apologize in advance for the intrusion. I wish you guys the ultimate best.

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete